Date: 3/25/21 2:53 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] 42 Species at Portsmouth Country Club!
Pam Hunt had 42 species this morning, and so did I!

I took a long 3 mile walk along the paved walkway at the Portsmouth
Country Club.  Sadly, fog limited visibility on the bay otherwise, I
would have had more.  Nothing terribly unusual.  Highlight of the walk
was a Great Horned Owl incubating on a nest in a pine tree. Tipped off
by mobbing crows, it was one of the very few times that I've found a
Great Horned Owl nest.  Total list:

Canada Goose  199
American Wigeon  9
Mallard  8
American Black Duck  179
Green-winged Teal  2
Greater Scaup  382     Rough estimate.
Lesser Scaup  1     Male with Black Ducks partly up river.
Bufflehead  23
Common Goldeneye  7
Common Merganser  7
Wild Turkey  1     Gobbling.
Mourning Dove  8
Killdeer  12
Ring-billed Gull  33
Herring Gull  2
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  1   Adult
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Great Horned Owl  1     Incubating on nest.  Thanks to the Crows for
pointing it out!
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2