Date: 3/25/21 2:27 pm
From: James Bair <james.bair...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Hammo Swan Pond 3-24
Regarding Mute Swans in Connecticut, I just have a few anecdotes from
the seventies. I was in the Coast Guard in New London and often worked
with the DEP (now DEEP) on pollution issues. Back then the DEP did addle
Mute Swan eggs. They would not hatch, but the swans would keep brooding
until they finally gave up. I am not sure if the DEEP still does it.

Even back then most people viewed the swans romantically. Once, when a
boater ran into a Mute Swan and killed it, we got a few calls asking us
to apprehend the boater. We explained that no law was broken and the
Mute Swans were not protected. Now I live in New Haven County, but it
does seem to me that the population at least in the western part of the
state has stabilized. That is not necessarily a good thing, but they are
large and quite territorial, so they may have reached a limit here.
Maybe someone from the DEEP can shed some light.

Jim Bair