Date: 3/24/21 6:38 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Braddock Bay (24 Mar 2021) 1932 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 1932 4564 4564

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: David Brown

Observers: Ed Sailer, Greg Lawrence, Jim Miles

Visitors:
10

Weather:
Morning rain delayed the start of the count a few hours. Overcast in the
late morning then clearing throughout the afternoon. Winds mostly
southeasterly.

Raptor Observations:
By far the best day so far this season. We had nearly as many migrants
today as we had had the entire season up to today.

After the rain cleared a few groups of turkey vultures, northern harriers,
and Accipiters began to migrate. Migration drastically increased during the
2pm EST hour when over 1,200 turkey vultures migrated through in large
groups with other raptors mixed in. Bald Eagle migration was excellent in
the late-afternoon with a total of 19 for the day. One immature golden
eagle and 8 rough-legged hawks. One adult peregrine falcon. Northern
harrier and Accipiter migration continue to increase. The flight was
relatively high in the afternoon but mostly overhead.

Non-raptor Observations:
23 Killdeer, Great Black-backed Gull, Common Raven, 40 Horned Larks, 10
Tree Swallows, Barn Swallow, 10 Common Redpolls, 6 Eastern Meadowlarks, 10
Rusty Blackbirds.

eBird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S84037025

(I also confirmed the Red Crossbills (16+) at Frisbee Hill Park this
morning with photos: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83994384)

Predictions:
Thursday: A mix of sun and clouds early, then cloudy later. High near 20C.
Winds SW at 15-25km/h through early-afternoon then shifting W and
eventually NW by the end of the day. Great conditions in the morning
through early afternoon. The longer the wind stays SW, the better. No lake
breeze is forecast but that's always a possibility when the winds are
relatively light and could push the flight inland. We are entering the peak
of turkey vulture migration and hopefully there are plenty to come
following today's strong flight. Expect good migration!

Friday: Windy with showers and thunderstorms in the morning then overcast.
Morning high of 16C falling to 7C. Winds SW at 40-55km/h occasionally
gusting stronger. Wind direction remains favorable but rain, clouds, and
strong winds could keep the totals lower.

Saturday: Partly cloudy. High 9C. Winds W shifting NW at 10-15km/h. Expect
moderate migration.
Report submitted by David Brown (<davidebrownpa...>)
Braddock Bay information may be found at:
http://www.bbrr.org/

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=353
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo - Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/braddock-bay-raptor-research/2021-spring-bb-raptor-watch