Date: 3/24/21 4:44 pm
From: Jon Woolf <jsw...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Bald Eagle recovery
Here's a story that deserves to be spread far and wide:

In 1963, the number of nesting Bald Eagle pairs in the Lower 48
states had fallen to under 500. In a new population survey, the US
Fish & Wildlife Service places the number of nesting pairs in the
Lower 48 at 71,400, and the total Bald Eagle population at 316,700 -
more than 100 times the population of sixty years ago. The new Bald
Eagle Population Size Report: 2020 Update
(https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/pdf/management/bald-eagle-population-size-2020.pdf)
shows that the eagle population continues to grow rapidly, more than
quadrupling since the last survey in 2008.

I'd call that a success, indeed I would.

-- Jon Woolf
Manchester, NH