Date: 3/24/21 11:25 am
From: Charlie Nims <charlie.nims...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Northern Shrike
This morning, Joe Scott and I checked a couple spots in the N. Conway\Albany area. We started at Pequawket Pond Trail where signs of spring were manifested by lots of songs including a few species strongly staking out territory and attempting to attract a mate. Nothing overly unusual but nice to see breeders starting to arrive. The highlight was a Merlin that Joe watched dive bomb an adult Bald Eagle which seemed non-plused! A pair of Merlins bred in the area last year, one of at least 4 or 5 in the MW Valley so it looks as though one of them is back.

We then went to the Albany Town Fields off of the Kancamagus Highway as I had seen a report (Sarah Frankel) of a Northern Shrike from yesterday. Our expectations were low as this time of year the species seems to be a one-day wonder on its northward migration. So, we were pleased to catch up with a very cooperative Northern Shrike which we watched go from one to another tree tip-top and fly by us a couple of times. It even tee’d up for a photo opp.

Full reports and a couple photos posted to eBird.

Charlie Nims
Bartlett, NH