Date: 3/24/21 9:11 am
From: Chuck Imbergamo <imbercj...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Re: 3/24/21 - Branford, Lake Saltonstall -- Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Winter Wrens
Funny you should mention the ‘rare’ designation in eBird for Ruby-crowned Kinglet. I had one visiting at my suet and peanut feeders for all of January this year and I was submitting eBird reports for it nearly every day, until the last day of January when I last saw the bird.

The very next day, February 1st, the eBird ‘rare bird alert’ email began to list Ruby-crowned Kinglet reports. I suspect that the ‘rare’ tag had something to do with the month – perhaps sightings from February and March are few enough that eBird flags them as ‘rare’ during those months?

Do any of our reviewers know if this is how eBird works in this case of a bird that is common during some months and not during others?

---Chuck Imbergamo
Madison