Date: 3/24/21 7:45 am
From: Bill Volkert <billvolkert11...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Pine Siskins question
Chuck:
I often discussed this other myth about not touching bird eggs on my field
trips at Horicon Marsh. While most birds have a poor sense of smell and
touching eggs will not cause birds to abandon a nest, it does have a valid
point. If inspecting a nest or touching eggs was a problem, then the
bluebird monitoring program would never have been successful. However, I
am sure it is more the curiosity that children might have to check on the
progress of a nest repeatedly and return so often that birds may abandon
their nest as a result. So they are told not to touch a nest and keep
their distance to reduce unnecessary disturbance. Of course, mammals will
at times abandon their young if they are handled and this may have been the
reason for believing that birds will do the same.

Bill Volkert