Date: 3/24/21 7:13 am
From: Bill Volkert <billvolkert11...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Pine Siskins question
Bob:
Just a follow-up to your question. I was just talking to a friend who also
lives in South Carolina and he mentioned that they are experiencing some
local salmonella outbreaks. Perhaps the suggestion to shut down feeders is
long-standing myth about feeders keeping birds from migrating.

Bill Volkert

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 11:04 PM Bob Matyas <bobmatyas...>
wrote:

> Hello,
> Lu Ann and I have relatives that live in South Carolina and they are
> currently hosting a lot of Pine Siskins which surprised me. I guess that
> is where some of my Fall Pine Siskins went. They told us that they were
> told that everyone should stop bird feeding down in South Carolina so that
> the numerous Pine Siskins can feel free to migrate north again, and resume
> feeding once the Pine Siskins return to the north. This does not sound
> right to me but I could be wrong. Anyone know the proper answer, I know
> most birds migrate based on the hours of sunlight but I assume there may be
> exceptions and lack of food may sound like one.
> Good Birding,
> Bob and Lu Ann Matyas
> Franklin, WI.

Bill Volkert