Date: 3/24/21 6:49 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Large Numbers of Harlequin Ducks West Of Yaquina Bay Bridge. Many Gulls at Herring Spawn Site
Thank you for posting this very interesting information, Range. And here's
a little tip for confused people such as myself. I've looked for this sort
of information in the past without any luck. Encouraged by your post I went
to eBird Explore and typed in Clackamas County. I was hoping to find the
same information for my County. However eBird told me that it didn't
recognize that entry. In the past I would have just given up. But since you
had shown that it can work, instead of typing in Clackamas County I simply
typed in Clackamas. It worked this time. And apparently didn't like this
County nonsense. Just another idiosyncrasy of eBird.
Bob O'Brien Carver, Clackamas County, Oregon

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021, Range Bayer <range.bayer...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On the afternoon of March 22, Walt Nelson & Rebecca Cheek counted at least
> 34 harlequin ducks along the rocks of the first finger jetty west of the
> Yaquina Bay Bridge. They also went over to the rock shelf on the north
> side west of the bridge and saw a huge gull flock where there had been a
> herring spawn. They counted 40 brant in the middle of the gulls, and a
> dozen mallards in a group as well. Brant often show in that area this time
> of year, which is during their spring migration and feed on herring eggs.
> Mallards are opportunistic and in recent years have been feeding in the
> surf and swash zone at the mouth of Beaver Creek and the nearby beach.
> Mallards could be there feeding on herring eggs, too.
>
> The highest eBird count for Harlequins at the Yaquina Jetties this March
> that I found is 39 on March 19 by Ardis Letey (https://ebird.org/pnw/
> checklist/S83687362). To see eBird March-May 2021 Lincoln County
> Harlequin records and to zoom the map for observations, go to
> https://tinyurl.com/hp5tsc4n
>
> The eBird high count of Harlequins in Lincoln County for all years is 41
> at the Yaquina South Jetty is 41 by Steve & Rachel Holzman on March 2, 2018
> (https://ebird.org/checklist/S43322408) as noted at
> https://ebird.org/region/US-OR-041?yr=all&m=&rank=hc
>
> My report of birds at Yaquina Bay herring spawns in 1979 is at
> https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/condor/
> v082n02/p0193-p0198.pdf Note some water birds can be coincidentally
> there but not feeding on herring eggs.
>
> Today is a good day to go see birds,
>
> Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon.
>
> The eBird Lincoln County page is at https://ebird.org/region/US-OR-041
> For Lincoln County, it includes an Overview that includes Last Seen, First
> Seen, High Counts, Bar Charts of occurrence for each species, and a
> Printable Checklist for each species reported to eBird.org in Lincoln
> County. The page also includes tabs for birds and an Illustrated Checklist
> for each "Hot Spot" location, Recent Visit reports, an Illustrated
> Checklist for the whole County, and more information.

Join us on Facebook!