Date: 3/24/21 1:54 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Red-shouldered Hawks in Clackamas County
I doubt that breeding has been CONFIRMED in any of these counties. Red-shoulders become remarkably secretive during breeding season. The circumstantial  evidence is mounting, ever so slowly. Finding a nest with eggs or unfledged young requires considerably more effort than modern birders typically wish to exert, even if the sacred cow of private property weren't part of the formula. Even sightings of adult Red-shoulders all but cease in nesting season in central Lane County where they have been relatively common for two decades.       A similar situation pertains with crows and Ravens. They are impossible to ignore most of the year. But with eggs or young in the nest they become all but impossible to detect. It has been close to 50 years since the first confirmed 'shoulder in Oregon,  but l would be surprised if ten nests have been documented statewide.  For that matter, how many counties in western  Oregon have documented a Black Phoebe nest? Surely they breed in all of them, but l'll bet half of them don't have a confirmed nest. Or Scrubjays in coastal counties:  I'll bet no one has found a nest north of Curry County. I've found a Scrubjay nest once in 52 years. Largely due to lack of effort, but l find Robin nests every year.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: TIM JANZEN <tjanzen...> Date: 3/23/21 9:22 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <obol...> Subject: [obol] Red-shouldered Hawks in Clackamas County

Today I had a pair of RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS near Molalla in Clackamas County.  See https://ebird.org/checklist/S83972348. I wouldn't be surprised if they remain in the area to breed.  One was seen in the same area 6 days ago by Joe Blowers.  Sightings of Red-shouldered Hawks in Clackamas County have increased significantly over the past 10 years.   I would be interested in knowing if breeding of this species has been confirmed in Marion County, Yamhill County, Washington County, or Multnomah County.

Sincerely,

Tim Janzen

Portland

Join us on Facebook!