Date: 3/23/21 7:55 pm
From: Dan Gleason <dan-gleason...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Bird ID
Shrikes sit in a very horizontal position and seldom as vertical as this bird. Head shape, beak. location all point to California Scrub-Jay. Don’t be fooled by color or lack thereof. At this distance and backlit, gray would be more prominent than a structural blue.

Dan Gleason
Owner, Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene
Ornithology Instructor, retired, University of Oregon
<dan-gleason...>
(Please forgive typos-I beat leukemia but the chemo greatly degraded my eyesight.)

> On Mar 23, 2021, at 7:21 PM, Nancy and Mike Thomas <shipwreck5000...> wrote:
>

> It seems more like a shrike than a jay. Hard to say. Tail stripe is very vivid
>

>> On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 3:53 PM Tony Hellberg <anthony.hellberg...> wrote:
>> It looked like a scrub jay but there is no blue.
>>
>> I’m just below mt tabor on the portland side.
>>
>> Might just be a scrub jay but didn’t see the blue.

>>> Not much to go on. Where? What habitat? At a glance l d say Sctubjay. But if it's out in open country or eastern Oregon Shrike would work. Can't see distinguishing characters for Northern or Loggerhead. We're moving into that window where Loggerheads occasionally appear on the westside.
>>>

>>> Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Join us on Facebook!