Date: 3/23/21 6:25 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Good birds and new for year past two days - 3/22-23/21
Island Cottage Woods seemed dead yesterday, but a bit of spishing and a few year birds just a short way in. LOTS of Song Sparrows moving at the edge.
Island Cottage Woods - Lake Plains side, Monroe, New York, US
Mar 22, 2021 9:50 AM - 10:10 AM
Bob Spahn, <rspahn...>: Traveling
0.2 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:    Quick look at start of first trail to bench. Some time on bench spishing.
13 species

Canada Goose  20
Ring-billed Gull  6
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  2
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  10
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Brown Creeper  1
Hermit Thrush  1
Fox Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  14
Red-winged Blackbird  6

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S83965782
    Today Sue and I headed west to Hamlin Beach for a walk. On signs on the Parkway out past Lighthouse Rd., first an Eastern Phoebe and a mile of so later a Snowy Owl.
Song Sparrows all over the place. A few Red-necked Grebes off the boat launch near the Yanty Creek trailhead.
Sign - North Ave  259  1/2 Mile, Monroe, New York, US
Mar 23, 2021 10:40 AM
Protocol: Incidental
Checklist Comments:    Headed W on Lake Ontario Parkway. Spotted white raptor perched on road sign ahead. As we got closer, Snowy Owl fairly heavily marked with black streaks and bars . Stopped back a bit for photos (through windshield, a bit blurry). Bird not disturbed by us and in place when we left. Called back to hawk watch to alert others.  Photo is Sue's.
1 species

Snowy Owl  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S83967411

Hamlin Beach - Yanty Crk Trail short, Monroe, New York, US
Mar 23, 2021 10:55 AM - 12:05 PM
Bob & Sue Spahn, <rspahn...>: Traveling
0.25 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:    Sue and I walked back to the board walk and back. Pretty quiet. I scoped the lake from the bench at the boat launch while we had a sandwich for lunch.
29 species

Snow Goose  7
Canada Goose  19
Long-tailed Duck  40