Date: 3/23/21 6:25 pm
From: Chuq Von Rospach via groups.io <chuqui...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Joseph D. Grant County Park Tuesday 3/23
a side note to this: a couple of years ago I read a piece suggesting that nest boxes be hung in pairs somewhat close to each other, because the tree swallows will adopt one and then defend that territory against other swallows, leaving the other box for another species like the bluebird. I am wondering if bluebirds might do the same and leave that second box open for swallows as well, but it doesn't surprise me that the bluebirds win a fight for a box like that...

---------------------------------------

Chuq Von Rospach http://www.chuq.me
Email: <chuqui...>
Twitter: @chuq
Silicon Valley, California
On Mar 23, 2021, 4:05 PM -0700, <marion_farber...>, wrote:

>   Along the same fence line, we saw a pair of TREE SWALLOWS enter a nest box, but then a pair of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS came to check out the box while the Swallows furiously dive-bombed the Bluebirds, to no avail.  It appears that the Bluebirds won the fight, at least for now!

View/Reply Online (#23980): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23980
-=-=-

-=-=-
Group Owner: southbaybirds+<owner...>