Date: 3/23/21 5:14 pm
From: 'Edwin Sanchez' via Birders <birders...>
Subject: [birders] Amblin’ Ambystoma Night at Hudson Mills
Hello All

It appears that the annual event whereupon we all meet in a dark, rainy wood is about to happen.

Yes, I am talking about the breeding migration of salamanders that occurs at this time of year but only at night.

Special arrangements have been made to keep Hudson Mills Metropark open until 9 PM Thursday night only.

If you want to join me and park staff, please register at:

https://www.metroparks.com/event/salamander-migration-night-hike-2/ <https://www.metroparks.com/event/salamander-migration-night-hike-2/>

It costs $5 to register, but it is for a good cause and helps to defray the costs of keeping the park open past hours.

You can also register at the park Thursday evening via a smart phone.

Bring good boots, a rain jacket, and a flashlight to witness one of nature’s hidden gems. Meet at Oak Meadows Picnic Area lot at 7:45 p.m.

It is common to see many salamanders in the ponds or crossing the paths.

The most common species are:

Yellow-spotted salamander (Ambystoma maculatum)

Blue-spotted (A. laterale)

Less common are:

Tiger salamander (A. tigrinium)

And if you are really lucky:

Eastern (midland) Newt (Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens)

Of course, Spring peepers, chorus frogs, snapping and Blanding's turtles and the occasional garter and watersnake can be up and about (hunting sals).

Enjoy this special seasonal event and hope for rain!

Eddie Sanchez

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<29624FF4-B86A-4FF0-94F5-6A8B2427324A...>

Join us on Facebook!