Date: 3/23/21 5:05 pm
From: tracy_farrington via groups.io <tracy_farrington...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Juvenile Hawk at Shoreline ID
Oliver,This looks quite like a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk, a Buteo, not an Accipiter. The Accipiters (referred to as the true hawks) are representedby the Sharp-shinned Hawk, the Cooper's Hawk, and the largest of the three, the Northern Goshawk. The Red-shouldered Hawk, like its largercousins, is a Buteo.
Continued good birding,Tracy FarringtonWalnut Creek
On Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 04:24:29 PM PDT, Oliver Zhang <blackrockartstudio...> wrote:

Hi birders.

The Spring is definitely in the air. A couple of days ago I saw a group of TREE SWALLOW near the Emily Renzel Pond; this morning I saw a Juvenile Hawk near the Boat Playground at Shoreline Lake; also both male and female WESTERN BLUEBIRD were active nearby.

I narrowed this accipiter down to a kind of juvenile, but couldn't be certain if it's a Juvenile Red Shouldered Hawk or Red-Tailed Hawk. Can anybody help out? Thanks.

Happy birding.

Oliver

View/Reply Online (#23979): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23979
-=-=-