Date: 3/23/21 2:42 pm
From: Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Vischer Ferry Preserve
I may have not actually seen anything new here today based on other
checklists but after birding other parts of Saratoga County recently I have
to say this was some of the best birding in the past few days. (Wilton
trails are actually still so icy they are almost unwalkable.)

Waterfowl was most satisfying with plenty of courting Ring-necked Ducks,
accompanied by 5 pairs of American Wigeon, two pairs Green-winged Teal,
some Wood Ducks, 5 pairs Gadwall, and of course lots of Mallards and Black
Ducks. Also found 2 drake Pintails and a hen by herself later. My fave was
a tiny Pied-billed Grebe stretching its little wings as wide as it could.
Canada Geese were also repeatedly trying to make upcoming goslings
including one bird violently attacking another every time it attempted to
mount a third bird (who seemed quite angry at the attacker).

I did find two singing male Rusty Blackbirds along with a female following
one around. A Catbird quietly popped up by the bridge and a Winter Wren
sang a whispered song about a mile down the west trail. Also found a few
lingering Common Redpolls.

Lindsey D.