Date: 3/23/21 1:10 pm
From: Pam Hunt <biodiva...>
Subject: RE: [NHBirds] Bohemian Waxwings, Sandwich
To pile on a little more for the Lakes Region:

Unity and I were up in Laconia/Tilton yesterday and had a Killdeer, phoebe, and a dozen WW Crossbills at the old Laconia State School campus adjacent to Ahern State Park. The latter were being quite accommodating feeding on fallen white pine cones. Before that we had an adult goshawk fly over us while in the woods at Ahern State Park.

Waterfowl were still fairly sparse except for the expected wintering species. There was a flock of 120 or so ducks at the edge of the ice on Lake Winnisquam as viewed from Rt. 3, but just as we pulled over to scope it a young eagle appeared and flushed everything. Everything except one Common Merganser which for whatever reason didn't fly, and we watched the eagle make repeated aerial attempts at the duck -which dove repeatedly. When the eagle was perched on the ice the duck didn't care at all, and eventually the eagle wandered off.

Silver Lake in Tilton/Belmont had 42 Common Mergs, 25 RN Ducks, and presumably the female Lesser Scaup that overwintered in Laconia.

Pam Hunt and Unity Dienes
Concord