Date: 3/23/21 5:26 am
From: Chris Barrigar <1chrisbarrigar...>
Subject: Great-tailed Grackles, Miller Co., 3/22/2021

Upon Edge's report of no Great-tailed Grackles (GTGR) in Olean, MO at the end of last week, I followed up on a hunch that the birds were likely still in the area and searched the S. Moreau Creek bottoms near Olean o on the way home from work yesterday afternoon. Just north of the village on gravel road P-2A or South Creek Road, the flock was relocated in tree tops across the road from the South Kreek Ranch entrance. The birds were flying between tree tops and down to the pasture & corn fields. This area is immediately north of S. Moreau Creek.

I counted as the birds flew from the trees to the fields and came up with 223, then later back at home looking at images of the birds perched in the trees, counting up to 233 . . . just in 3 photos of tree tops. More GTGR were present.

I imagine they'll disperse, spreading to small farm ponds once the cattails begin to develop.

Checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S83910275

Location:
https://goo.gl/maps/VtXqspfubDe2rpMC7
[https://maps.google.com/maps/api/staticmap?<center...>%2C-92.5319167&zoom=16&size=256x256&language=en&<markers...>%2C-92.5319167&sensor=false&client=google-maps-frontend&signature=3ycH_xdQq5IDlqMISjTWp6PLhlM]<https://goo.gl/maps/VtXqspfubDe2rpMC7>
3825'41.8"N 9231'54.9"W<https://goo.gl/maps/VtXqspfubDe2rpMC7>
S Creek Rd, Russellville, MO 65074
goo.gl
I absolutely love hearing their chatter!!!!

Bodacious Birding!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.
Russellville, MO
<1chrisbarrigar...><mailto:<1chrisbarrigar...>

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cbarrigar

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." JOHN MUIR