Date: 3/22/21 10:26 am
From: Cheryl Miller <cherylmiller104...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Bird Locator tool
Greetings,

Here's a link to an excellent bird locator tool created by a fellow in North Carolina, just received from Minnesota Orthithologist Union. See below for more detail.

https://www.michaelfogleman.com/birds/ <https://www.michaelfogleman.com/birds/>

Cheryl Miller
Johnson County IA

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Tami Vogel <tvogel...>
> Subject: [mou-net] Bird Locator
> Date: March 22, 2021 at 11:04:55 AM CDT
> To: <MOU-NET...>
>
> Thought I'd share this amazing reference tool created by a birder in North Carolina, Michael Fogleman. It works w/any zip code. Just amazing the skills that people contribute to the birding community at large.
>

> Regards,
>
> Tami Vogel
> Communications Director
> Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota
> www.wrcmn.org<http://www.wrcmn.org/>
> www.facebook/WRCMN<http://www.facebook/WRCMN>
> Twitter/IG @WRCMN
>

> On Mar 22, 2021, at 9:47 AM, Michael Fogleman (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...><mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:
>
> Hello friends,
>
> I made a new webpage called "Bird Finder." Just enter your ZIP code and it will show you what birds you can expect to see in your area this month. Then, you can click on a bird and it will show you which hotspots historically were best for finding that bird.
>
> https://www.michaelfogleman.com/birds/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?<u...>&d=DwQFAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=xXpC9befJRBVpnioMFpUIw&m=e5WERxzExiwIpP13xoNsSWfAScX8YYHBI29VjuJFlW4&s=WXSO_37ciJaFqyg2m6ortrp2A_gkL6Q28CkomZRBRmE&e=>
>
> It also highlights which birds are "coming" and "going" based on the change from the previous month.
>
> This is all based on historical eBird data.
>
> The tool suggested that the best place for me to find Wilson's Snipe in March is, by far, a place called Beaver Marsh in Durham. I had never been there before. I went, and sure enough I saw about 18 of t hem! You can find that data on eBird, of course, but it's not presented in this way.
>
> Poke around and let me know if its suggestions line up with your experience!
>
> Michael Fogleman
> Cary, NC
>

> ----
>
> During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

Cheryl Miller
(m): (651) 653-8133