Date: 3/21/21 2:21 pm
From: Thomas Wood <tcwood729...>
Subject: [wisb] Horicon NWR this morning, 3/21
The autotour is now open, Main Dike Road is still closed, and the ponds are nearly ice free. I didn’t see anything too unusual, but it was nice to see a half-dozen Blue-winged Teal (FOY) in the pond on the west side of the auto tour road past the boardwalk area. A few American White Pelicans were in the last pond of the autotour. The highlight for me was actually just east of the NWR on Ledge Road east of CTH Z where a huge flock of Lapland Longspurs foraged on the roadside and in the fields. I am not good at sizing large flocks, but my “guesstimate” was about 250 when they all took to the air in a huge cloud.
The numbers of waterfowl were lower than expected, but I didn’t spend much time on STH 49, so there may have been more to see if I had scoped the ponds.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County####################