Date: 3/21/21 11:32 am
From: Wendy VanDeWalle <wtvandewalle...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Kinglets- BOTH Golden- crowned and Ruby Crowned FOY plus
Hi everyone!
I debated back and forth whether to walk in the woods or sit in the car to drive to see waterfowl. I finally decided that I needed to walk. The Cedar River is only a couple miles from my house so I decided to walk at Winegar lake. (It’s not much of a “lake”, just an oxbow of the river). The birds were actually pretty active in the spots that were out of the wind. I found two groups of FOY Golden-crowned Kinglets and in the second group I found an early Ruby-crowned as well. There was a group of about 20 Rusty Blackbirds hanging out along the edge of one of the smaller oxbows out of the wind. They were vary wary and would not cooperate for a picture. The Pileated Woodpecker and the Coopers Hawk were both calling. I also saw my second of the year Turkey Vulture. One lonely Fox sparrow also put in an appearance.
When I got home, my intermittent Northern Shrike visitor tried for a quick meal at my bird feeder but missed.
Pretty good morning considering the wind.

Happy spring!
Wendy VanDeWalle
Buchanan Co.