Date: 3/21/21 10:19 am
From: Lynette Staffero <lynette...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Giant Flock of Cedar Waxwings
Yesterday morning, March 20th, I had a large group, possibly 50 or more, of Cedar Waxwings in my yard feeding on a large berry tree.  I usually see them in January, but this is the first time I’ve seen them this year.  The berries on the tree are all but gone.  Except for a handful of stragglers, the group was gone in 15 minutes.  I live in the Cambrian area of San Jose.

Lynette

From: <southbaybirds...> on behalf of "Kathleen McGall via groups.io" <katom882002...>
Date: Saturday, March 20, 2021 at 10:07 PM
To: "<southbaybirds...>" <southbaybirds...>, "<margaretrow...>" <margaretrow...>

Hi Margaret,

Yes, on the day of the backyard count (Feb 13th), I was walking in Los Altos and saw a very large flock of cedar waxwings, I estimated it to be 100 birds.

I watched for over 30 minutes and saw the cedar waxwings cycle through three times. I was not sure if it was the same flock all three times.

It was amazing! Such beautiful birds.

Kathleen

On Saturday, March 20, 2021, 06:08:05 PM PDT, <margaretrow...> <margaretrow...> wrote:

On 3/18/21, around 150 Cedar Waxwings descended on a leafless tree in my neighbor's yard in Palo Alto. Small groups of the birds flew to feed on a large berry tree and a fruiting Syzygium tree in my yard. All of the remaining fruit is starting to look somewhat desiccated.
The remainder of the flock spent time eating the small leaf buds on the tree where they had landed. I've recently noticed flocks of up to 50, but this is the first time such a large flock has arrived. As normal for Waxwings, they did not stay longer than 15 minutes.
I've seen large flocks of up to 50 on our trees, but this flock is a first for me.
Is anyone else noticing such large groups?
Margaret

View/Reply Online (#23959): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23959
-=-=-

-=-=-