Date: 3/20/21 9:31 am
From: Stuart Sparkman <jacamar29...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Smith's Longspurs at Chichaqua
Hey I-Birders,

Karen, Harney, and I took a little trip out to Chichaqua Bottoms
Greenbelt this morning (Polk Co.). At the Swan Lake unit a walk through a
grassy field produced around 25 SMITH'S LONGSPURS. We had plenty of decent
looks at them in the air. They were predictably much less cooperative on
the ground, though with perseverance and luck I actually got a brief scope
view of two of them. It was nice to hear their vocalizations too.

We walked the dike through the forest along NW 118th. At the little
parking area, two calling SANDHILL CRANES flew fairly low over us, a
definite highlight of the morning. Other birds were unremarkable, but it
was a nice morning to be outside.

Good Birding,

Stuart Sparkman
NW Des Moines