Date: 3/19/21 2:59 pm
From: Tim Kavan <tkavan_76...>
Subject: Re: Probable Mottled Duck - Dunklin County - 17 March 2021

Timothy Jones, Kent Freeman and myself spent all morning looking around the area to no avail. I did observe a small group of ducks hunkered down in the wind but they were way too far out from public access to determine if a black/mottled duck was even present or not.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 19, 2021, at 2:17 PM, Joshua Uffman <birdsandbugs...> wrote:

Missouri Birders: Colin Dobson found what appears to be a probable Mottled Duck in Dunklin County rice fields on 17 March. Here is the exact location
36°00'29.0"N 90°00'18.2"W https://goo.gl/maps/k9bWty11djJAqNMU9

Also, here is the link to his eBird checklist. Although initially labeled as an Am. Black Duck; note the paler brown body (compared to Am. Black Duck), more yellow-olive bill (vs. dark olive of a Black Duck) with a black gape spot. If anyone else relocates this bird, additional photographs would be appreciated to ensure any Mallard genes are ruled out as this species is a casual/summer transient/visitor in Missouri (less than 15 accepted records for state).

eBird Checklist - 17 Mar 2021 - South Dunklin Rice Fields (CR 730) - 31 species (+1 other taxa)<https://ebird.org/checklist/S83619861>

<https://ebird.org/checklist/S83619861>
eBird Checklist - 17 Mar 2021 - South Dunklin Rice Fields (CR 730) - 31 ...

Submitted by Colin Dobson.

Good Birding,
Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO

Archives<https://po.missouri.edu/archives/mobirds-l.html> / Subscription options<https://po.missouri.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mobirds-l&A=1> / MBS Website<http://mobirds.org> / Email the list owners<mailto:<mobirds-l-request...>