Date: 3/18/21 6:46 pm
From: sgg.bluesfan <sgg.bluesfan...>
Subject: Re: In a lighter vein

I guess my contribution is this.  Many years ago a Fulvious Whistling duck was reported in the rice fields near Dexter.  Drove down there to the exact rice field reported.  Eventually three other birders came and we watched with no luck.  After some time the farmer came by and we talked to him about why we were there.  One of us saw a low flying crop duster nearby and joked with the farmer saying if that plane would fly real low over the rice field maybe the duck would pop his head up.  It was a joke but the Farmer got the pilot to make a real low flyover.  No luck.Later we started to search the dikes and on one far in the distance we saw a bird in the worse light, head tucked in, but thought we had our bird.  Birders were high fiving and celebrating.   Two headed out but two stayed behind.  We watched a bit more and not long after the bird lifted her head up and then it was clear.  We high fived a female mallard...I had on four other trips for non birding reasons took a half day or so each searching for this mysterious bird with no luck.  A few years ago made a Memorial Day trip to Louisiana and was in Fulvious Duck heaven!Thanks,Steve  Griffaw <Sgg.bluesfan...> Jefferson City MOSent via the Samsung Galaxy S8+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Catherine Davis <catherineann...> Date: 3/18/21 7:07 PM (GMT-06:00) To: <MOBIRDS-L...> Subject: Re: In a lighter vein WARNING: This message has originated from an External Source. This may be a phishing expedition that can result in unauthorized access to our IT System. Please use proper judgment and caution when opening attachments, clicking links, or responding to this email.We all can be wrong!Sent from my iPhoneOn Mar 18, 2021, at 6:39 PM, Terry Miller <millert832...> wrote:WARNING: This message has originated from an External Source. This may be a phishing expedition that can result in unauthorized access to our IT System. Please use proper judgment and caution when opening attachments, clicking links, or responding to this email.Okay...after reading all of these...I will throw in one of my early embarrassing birding stories.  I was taking Ornithology at NWMSU in the late 70's.  As a very inexperienced newby, I would go birding as much as I could in between classes and studying.  I was out at Dobbin's Woodland, a decent stand of timber, south of Maryville.  I kept hearing an unknown "bird" calling up in the trees and as I got closer, it would stop calling, and it seemed to keep flying to another distant tree.  I was pretty persistent and I would very carefully try to sneak up and locate this mystery bird.  Going from distant tree to distant tree, this went on for over an hour.  Finally, I gave up and went back to my room for my (justifiably?) postponed studying.Well, it wasn't until I took Herpetology later on and I was listening to amphibian calls in the lab.  The moderator on the tape said, "Now listen to the bird-like trill of the Gray Treefrog''.  My frustrating adventure all came back to my mind and I was glad that it did while I was alone in that lab room.....  Nature certainly has a beautiful way of keeping us humble....and at the same time...very appreciative of the opportunity!!Terry L. MillerPlattsburg, <MOmillert832...> me on Instagram: terryl.miller"Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely his eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made."  Romans 1:20On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 6:10 PM Media.com <edgew...> wrote:WARNING: This message has originated from an External Source. This may be a phishing expedition that can result in unauthorized access to our IT System. Please use proper judgment and caution when opening attachments, clicking links, or responding to this email.Jean Leonatti will verify our mutual experience of just the opposite.  We had passed the white plastic bag on the big tree stump when something just didn't seem right about it.  "Stop," I yelled, "that isn't a plastic bag."  She backed ten feet and we were staring at a Snowy Owl.  It stayed in the area (east side of Grand Pass CA) long enough for us to get several people coming from Columbia 75 miles away on it for life looks.Edge WadeColumbia, <MOedgew...>: "Catherine Davis" <catherineann...>To: "MOBIRDS-L" <MOBIRDS-L...>Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2021 4:41:34 PMSubject: Re: In a lighter veinWARNING: This message has originated from an External Source. This may be a phishing expedition that can result in unauthorized access to our IT System. Please use proper judgment and caution when opening attachments, clicking links, or responding to this email.My story is mistaking a white plastic bag for a snowy owl.  I lived in St Charles,MO and heard a report of a snowy owl in Redbud, IL.  Drove there and excitedly spotted it. Drove home and got my husband and drove back to Redbud.  He had to point out to me that it was a Walmart bag.Catherine DavisSent from my iPhoneOn Mar 18, 2021, at 4:04 PM, June Newman <june...> wrote:WARNING: This message has originated from an External Source. This may be a phishing expedition that can result in unauthorized access to our IT System. Please use proper judgment and caution when opening attachments, clicking links, or responding to this email.Several years ago, much too early in the season, I posted that I was hearing a Northern Parula.  I had not learned that Dark-eyed Juncos, late winter,  before they head north, often begin to sing. There's some remote similarity; they both trill. But I should have known better, and I was embarrassed at having ignored a basic tenet of birding, to consider always what is likely, and not likely, in a given time and place.  If you have a copy of the MDC booklet, Enjoying Missouri's Birds, it's it's an invaluable source of information about what appears when.  June Newmannow in ChicagoOn Thu, Mar 18, 2021, 1:25 PM Julie Lundsted <jlundste...> wrote:

How about the mistaken sounds?

I remember one Christmas Bird Count with Jim D Wilson - we were searching Binder Lake, Cole County, for birds super early one morning.

We heard a "clack" "clack" "clack".  Jim got super excited- THAT'S A RAIL!!!  Looking and looking....  heard the "clack" "clack" again....

then ...

We realized it was the Canda Geese as they were walking across the thin ice cracking it.

Brought a smile to my face thinking of that on this dreary day!

Julie Lundsted