Date: 3/18/21 12:25 am
From: Deepa Mohan <mohandeepa...>
Subject: Re: In a lighter vein

I am thoroughly enjoying these anecdotes. It seems birding is the same
everywhere! We all have similar anecdotes of twig-birds, leaf-birds, and
oh-my-goodness-is-that-what-it-actually-is birds.

However, I must share one incident from my St Louis birding.. Our group
leader was playing a bird call, and we were all excited when we got a
response. Playing the call at intervals, and getting a response each time,
we climbed the rise...and met another group of birders, climbing up from
the other side, playing the call and excited at getting a response.

( Here, in India, because of the large number of birders, playing bird
calls is generally frowned upon, though surreptitiously done sometimes.)

And though I am not a "numbers" birder, I would like to share this list
from a recent visit to a lake on the outskirts, where three kinds of Crakes
(Rallidae or Rail family) we're easily visible. It was one of the few
occasions I've clocked a century in a single morning! Not all of the birds
may be familiar to you (except to those, on this list-serv, who have
visited India), but you will certainly recognize several. (And if you are
not interested...just delete!)

https://ebird.org/checklist/S81875161

Cheers, Deepa.