Date: 3/17/21 4:51 pm
From: David Becher <davidbecher...>
Subject: Re: In a lighter vein

Edge is of course correct. The best way to become a better birder is to study a good field guide and to bird with more experienced birders. I owe a great debt to the many people who helped me to learn the birds. It is always a humbling experience to go to a new part of the world and have to start over as a beginner with new species. In learning birds there is no substitute for actually seeing and studying them. By going on field trips with experienced leaders, you can learn the things that make bird identification easier, like what species are common in what habitats. I have found that most experienced birders are glad to help anyone who is interested in learning more. All of the electronic aids, like eBIrd and Merlin make it easier to bird on your own than it has ever been, but birding with others will allow you to improve your skills more rapidly, provides more eyes to spot things, and gives you a reality check when you make a mistaken identification. My experience is that all birders misidentify birds, birds with lots of experience, just tend to make different kinds of mistakes.
David Becher
Saint Louis