Date: 3/16/21 10:21 pm
From: Roy Adolphson <roy...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Great Blue Heron Rookery in Polk County
Tuesday (3/16) at 10:00 a.m. I checked out the big sycamore tree along
Walnut Creek north of Hickman Road & west of Deer Creek Trail in Urbandale
to see if the herons were back. I was able to see at least 6 Great Blue
Herons standing upright in nests. In the brief time I was there, a
Red-tailed Hawk carrying a large stick in its mouth flew in and landed on a
nest in the upper center of the tree. Apparently it was taking over an old
heron nest. The herons that were present did not seem to pay any attention
to the hawk.

Roy Adolphson

Polk County (DSM)