Date: 3/16/21 8:39 pm
From: Chris Barrigar <1chrisbarrigar...>
Subject: Great-tailed Grackles, Miller Co., 3/16/2021

Greetings to those interested & in the area . . .,

Tuesday (3:50pm) while traveling Hwy 87 north from Eldon at the intersection of Hwy 87 and Hwy P (Olean), I observed a semi-large flock of Great-tailed Grackles (GTGR). This is the same area where a similarly large flock was observed two years ago.

I was able to pull off on Abbott Rd (gravel) to get out of the high traffic 87 and walk the ditch northward to get closer. The flock then flew eastward toward Olean staying north of Hwy P. They seemed to settle a bit feeding in the field among cattle located immediately east of Mill Rd. This is where I left them for the evening:
3824'47.6"N 9232'12.5"W

Their numbers were in excess of 200, and what a joy to hear the sounds of "squeaky balloons" and "wind-up toy tommy guns firing" filling the tree tops!

https://ebird.org/checklist/S83529604

Bird on!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.
Russellville, MO
<1chrisbarrigar...><mailto:<1chrisbarrigar...>

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cbarrigar

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." JOHN MUIR