Date: 3/15/21 7:02 am
From: Mary McCarthy <000000bbb2ce0f37-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Pelicans at EBCA

Yesterday it was really windy and rainy. But we drove around Eagle Bluffs in the afternoon and saw hundreds (800-900 I estimated) of American White Pelicans. It was really cool. When we drove in we noticed a group swimming from the shallow end of the pool between the main road and the river access road. So we went around and parked in a pull off where several people were watching the largest group of Pelicans I have ever seen at Eagle Bluff. The larger end of the teardrop pool from the river was
just packed, you could hardly see any water. The birds were moving and scooping up fish in their beaks. I wondered if the first group we saw were “herding” the fish down to the bigger end. Then they gradually all flew around over the river. After awhile when it started raining again, they all roosted in the main distribution channel behind the island past the Junction Box.
We didn’t stay much longer since it was raining pretty hard, but that was quite an experience.

Mary McCarthy
Boone County