Date: 3/14/21 6:02 pm
From: Mark & Susan Foote-Martin <marksuemartin...>
Subject: [wisb] Sandhill Crane Migration March 13 and 14th - Rio Wi
Hi

We noticed that there was a crane migration on both March 13th and 14th.. We
were at our cabin near Rio days boiling sap for maple syrup. We were
joined by Curt and Arlys Caslavka, from Middleton and at least two of us
were outside all the time. We believe few if any flocks that were in our
area were missed. It was interesting that all flocks were taking the same
route north.

The cranes were just east of Rio and and when we looked at a larger map it
appears they were in a line from about the Marshall area in northeast Dane
County to Montello in Marquette County. They were high and sometimes
would break into two or three smaller flocks and then would regroup into
the original flock. It looked like they were enjoying the day.

Saturday, 237 migrating cranes. Flocks heading north from about 10:00 a.m.
to 2:00 p.m. Flock numbers 12, 9, 48, 9, 9, 21, 16, 14, 9, 23, 26, 28 and
14. We also had our local birds and small numbers flying around = 2, 4, 4,
and 5.

Sunday, 219 migrating cranes Flocks heading north from about 10:30 to
3:00 p.m. Flock numbers of 10, 5, 4, 25, 18, 22, 6, 53, 17,20,19, and 30.

*Mark and Susan Foote-Martin*
*W7503 Kampen Road*
*Arlington, WI 53911*
*Home phone 608-635-4160*