Date: 3/14/21 9:21 am
From: Media.com <edgew...>
Subject: Re: Barred Owl and Blue jays

Barred Owls are predators. The attention-drawing and harassment behavior of other species toward owls is called "mobbing." Blue Jays are often the leaders, or at least the most obvious of these multi-species actions. This is an alerting to danger and "get out of our territory" behavior toward a predator, joined in by many species.

Other species often in the "mob" include woodpeckers--even the diminutive Downy, titmice, chickadees, and I've even seen Ruby-throated Hummingbirds drawn to the commotion and making passes toward the owl!

Also, Barred Owls are becoming more active and vocal now, as it is mate-seeking/nesting time.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO