Date: 3/12/21 6:35 pm
From: Drew Cashman <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender drcashman11 for DMARC)
Subject: [wisb] Re: Reporting nest sites

As a volunteer for Madison Audubon and one of the coordinators for the Bald Eagle Nest Program, I want to clarify the claim that Bill made about the program.
We have partnered closely with the DNR on this program since 2018 to get permission on nest locations and share with the DNR the results of whether the eagle nests are successful. We and our volunteers do not share nest locations with anyone outside of the DNR not to be difficult, but because it is important for the birds' nesting success to not be disturbed -- inadvertently or intentionally -- by human activity. It is well known that eagles can and will abandon a nest if harassed, and the goal of our program is to help advocate for successful bald eagle reproduction. Our program involves trained volunteers making a weekly visit to document activity.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me (<drcashman11...>) or Brenna at Madison Audubon (<bmarsicek...>), as we coordinate the Bald Eagle Nest Watch program together.

Thank you,Drew CashmanDane County

On Thursday, March 11, 2021, 06:30:29 PM CST, Bill Stout <stoutw...> wrote:

Hi Tom,
I decided to forward my email to you to the entire group because I believe that a good number of people do not understand the perspective of a researcher. In fact, some even may be considered hypocritical (e.g., Madison Eagle Nest Watch seems to depend on volunteers to REPORT and MONITOR eagle NEST LOCATIONS for them, but they are dead set against anyone reporting nests to anyone else). I have read several other viewpoints that also seem one-sided or perhaps uninformed. It is certainly not my intent here to offend anyone; however, I am not so naive as to think that this won't happen. Nevertheless, it is not my intent.

Most Sincerely,
Bill Stout
Ashippun, USA

My email to Tom on Wednesday in response to his post:

Thanks for your insights, Tom, as I greatly appreciate them. I just wanted you to know that I am very conservative in my work when it comes to alerting others of nest sights. I do not list locations such as on eBird or report locations to anyone. However, as an educator, if someone is very interested in the birds or if a nest is in the immediate vicinity of their home, I work to provide them with a "one of a kind" educational experience.

Last year I did not accommodate the general public and followed the North American Bird Banding Council recommendations for bird banding in the time of a COVID-19 pandemic (with the exception of one of the fist Great Horned Owl sites as it was before recommendations were out). This year will be more complicated as we try to move back to a new normal during this time. Nevertheless, I will be very cautious.

Thanks again for your post.

Sincerely,
Bill Stout
Ashippun, USA