Date: 3/11/21 7:57 am
From: Lee Schoenewe <lschoe...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Burr Oak Lake birds
Sloughs and shallow prairie potholes in northwest Iowa have opened up this
week so I went out waterfowling Tuesday afternoon. Burr Oak Lake in Emmet
county underwent a shallow lake drawdown a couple years ago, and the
reinvigorated water and vegetation was teeming with geese. Greater
White-fronted dominated with upwards of 12,000 individuals. There were lots
of Canadas with Cackling geese mixed in. A dozen or so Snow geese stood
out and three Ross's were there. Then I found a Bar-headed Goose, the
second of my life in Iowa. If it thinks it is headed to Mongolia, it has
another think coming!

A pair of Trumpeter Swans were settled on a rat house. It is so very cool
having them back amongst us in Iowa and raising cygnets routinely. I
finally got them on my yard list last week when I stepped out in the dark
and heard a group trumpeting overhead. The next day I got a text that there
were twelve sleeping out on the ice at Stolley pond.

As I sat there an immature Bald Eagle swooped over Burr Oak and roiled the
flocks. Some left but many circled out and came back in. It was a good
spot.

May you find good spots for the birds, too!

Lee A Schoenewe
Spencer