Date: 2/22/21 9:48 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, etc. - thoughts
It's great to have people of Bob's caliber still commenting on Genbirds. I get the ebird rarity reports for all the Buffalo Ornithological Society (B.O.S.) area & Hamilton & recently Monroe counties and also have been impressed by the large number of winter Sapsuckers - even found one myself in January - 99.9% sure a first since starting birding in '79. Part of the reason for the big #s of half-hardies (& others) it seems is the vast army of people reporting to ebird - far more than ever reported to Genbirds or Ontbirds or the 3 areas publications. Most names I've never heard & there's more all the time. Has anyone ever surveyed ebird users as to how they found out about it? Or maybe there's just more woodwork around than I thought.

Peter

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 8:01:10 AM EST, Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> wrote:

I have had a male sapsucker at my feeder at least four times over the last two days.  He usually grabs a sunflower seed and then settles down on the suet.  My parents had one at their house (about two miles away) a week ago. Susan AlexanderWilliamson From: Bird observations from western New York Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 7:00 AMTo: geneseebirds Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, etc. - thoughts     Looking at eBird data in preparing local monthly summaries of the birding scene often uncovers all sorts of interesting observations.
In recent days the eBird alert has noted quite a few sapsucker reports for Monroe County and other areas. In just completing my January summary, I found that the eBird data for the local reporting area (Region 2 - Genesee from NYSOA's The Kingbird "journal") contained 52 lines for Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, which, after I applied judgement calls for people birding together and dates and locations that were likely the same individual, amounted to about 29+ individuals at 25+ locations. Never can be certain without some way to mark the individuals.In many years the total wintering YBSA (yes I like to use the abbreviations on occasion and this should be readily understood) will often be more like 5 or less. With the extended warm fall and early January, numbers of many of what we often term half-hardy lingering species continuing into winter and now past mid-winter has been unusually large.     Get out and see what you can find! The more records input, the better the picture we can assemble of what is going on. In summaries, we do
also try to catch and use posts to geneseebirds as a part of the input, and personal data and stories are also of interest and use. The stories are often of more interest and use to others than the bare data. A January report will be in the Rochester Birding Association's newsletter, the Little Gull soon, and data will be posted to their website as a January Noteworthy Records table.    As a thought for maybe someone interested: After a very long time, it is time for someone else to take over the writing of these monthly reports.
 Bob Spahn, <rspahn...>