Date: 2/22/21 8:23 pm
From: Denise and David Hamilton <napabirders...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Pt. Reyes highlights 2.22, Tufted Duck hybrid??
Hi all,
Spent some time over at Pt. Reyes today, 2/22.  Some places very quiet and empty, but a few highlights:
Beautiful, continuing, all white Glaucous Gull. Found in Inverness, just past the Inverness Yacht Club and 2 houses on the beach right below Sir Francis Drake Blvd.  Best time seems to be when the tide is up. Hanging out with Iceland, Mew, and other gulls.
Ongoing Pacific Golden Plovers  - in the field across from the RCA building.  The past 2 times we've seen them, we were in the circular drive of the information display by the radio towers.  The 7 plovers have been in the far right hand corner of the field.
Part way up Mt. Vision Rd - mixed flock of Pygmy and 1 Red-breasted Nuthatch, CB Chickadees, Brown Creeper, RC Kinglets, No. Flicker, Hairy Woodpeckers, very vocal Hutton's Vireo, visible Wrentits, YR Warblers and vocal Band-tailed Pigeons.
Tomales Bay, behind the Inverness Store:  Out there around 4:30pm.  Tide way out!  Believe that we saw a possible Greater Scaup - Tufted Duck Hybrid. Duck looked pretty much like the other male Greater Scaup, but it had a tuft that could be seen blowing in the wind!  Any thoughts?? Just too far out and moving too much to get a picture of it.
Best birding to you all,Denise and David HamiltonNapa