Date: 2/22/21 5:45 pm
From: Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...>
Subject: Re: Unusual accipiter behavior??
The picture does look like a Cooper's hawk. I've seen Cooper's hawks thrash
through my neighbor's Japanese barberry hedge after house sparrows.
However, from what I have seen, this barberry hideout strategy has worked
better for the house sparrows.

If you must catch birds to eat and are hungry, doubling-down on the
intensity can be a successful strategy. Maybe a straight-shot dive into the
tree at a perched target has a decent probability of success. Thorns don't
seem to deter.

Nick Bolgiano

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 7:30 PM Ramsey, Lawrence William <lwr...>
wrote:

> The pictured juvenile Coppers ( I think) taken today is one of three
> accipiters that have been hanging around our feeders this winter and the
> one we see most often. We had an adult male SSHA yesterday nab a goldfinch
> in mid air which. We also had adult COHA on Saturday. The strange
> behavior occurred near late Saturday evening in poor light. Now the
> pictured COHA came out nowhere a week ago and scored a MODO mid morning and
> like the SSHA nabbing a AMGO in mid air is, to my understanding, typical
> behavior. But at dusk Saturday evening either our pictured hawk or the
> adult seen earlier that day made a pass at the feeder and missed and landed
> in a tree along the creek. As I put my binos on it to see who it was it
> few rapidly into a Hawthorn about 5 meters away from his perch and it
> looked like it grabbed something then flew out for about 30 meters then
> perched and started to open his package. I could not see what it was in
> the fading light but it was small and dark. I suspect it was a junco.
> When accipiter is around, juncos often go deep into one of the numerous
> hawthorn trees we have around as do other passerines like sparrows and
> cardinals. I have never seen a hawk go after prey embedded in a tree,
> especially a dense and prickly one such as a hawthorn.
> larry

Join us on Facebook!