Date: 2/22/21 5:26 pm
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: Bird of note: Leucistic Yellow-rumped Warbler
See checklist for a “white-crowned” Yellow-rumped Warbler photo.
I thought I had some weird bird for about 20-minutes, but finally figured it out.
(It wasn’t so much my super birder skills though. The best clue was when it finally turned its back to me and showed the yellow rump;>)

Leucism for any new birders: “A partial loss of pigmentation in a human or other animal, resulting in white, pale, or patchy coloration of the skin, hair, fur, or feathers but not the eyes”. It's not the same as albinism.

Rick Gregg
Kanawha Co.

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: <ebird-checklist...>
> Subject: eBird Report - 131 W. Riverview, Belle, Feb 22, 2021
> Date: February 22, 2021 at 12:39:07 PM EST
> To: <greggra...>
>
> 131 W. Riverview, Belle, Kanawha, West Virginia, US
> Feb 22, 2021 8:54 AM - 10:14 AM
> Protocol: Stationary
> Checklist Comments: Overcast. Light rain. 38F. Kanawha River has level down about (-) 6-inches, current around 1 1/4 MPH and is milky.
> 14 species
>
> Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola) 2
> Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 2
> Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 1
> Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 4
> Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 1
> European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 1
> House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 2
> House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 3
> American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 3
> Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) 1
> White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 1 White stripe.
> Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 1
> Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 1 There seems to be a bit of leucism in this bird. Note the white crown.
> Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 2
>
> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S82157991
>
> This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Join us on Facebook!