Date: 2/22/21 5:12 pm
From: James Cavanagh <jim.cavanagh...>
Subject: [NFLbirds] wren
Analysis of wren from excellent veteran NH birder

Your wren looks like a House Wren to me for the following reasons:

1) The overall coloration appears pale brown without a lot of contrast and no sign of an eye stripe. The photo is over-exposed a bit, but still the effect is rather plain and pale. A Winter Wren would look darker and should show a slight eye stripe.

2) The tail appears relatively long and better for a House Wren. A Winter Wren has a very short and stubby tail.

The barring on the lower flanks seems rather strong for a House Wren and may be the reason why this bird is confusing. But a Winter Wren should show darker barring on the flanks and I think it is within the range of variability for a House Wren so I still think it's a House Wren.