Date: 2/22/21 4:35 pm
From: <swismer...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Mickelson Trail to Mt. Rushmore
I'm a bit hooked on the state government budgeting process, so get my kicks from listening to Appropriations Committee hearings.  What a strange year, with (federal COVID) money running out our ears.  It's brought out a great candy store list of projects that we never would have been able to dream of doing without this money. I'm listening to a hearing on HB 1253 which would appropriate as much as $15 million to complete the Mickelson trail to Mt. Rushmore.  They got Doug Hofer, retired state parks director, to testify in favor of it.  They're making a good case.  Rep. Gross from Elkton noted and asked why he was getting emails from Audubon Society opposed to the project.  Is it a "leave nature to nature" stance? Would anyone care to comment, here or to me privately at <swismer...>?

Susan Wismer