Date: 2/22/21 1:58 pm
From: Maeve Kim <maevekim7...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] PS re Pine Grosbeaks at Technology Park
Check out several photos at https://vtbirdsandwords.blogspot.com/2021/02/pine-grosbeak-immature-photos-vermont.html <https://vtbirdsandwords.blogspot.com/2021/02/pine-grosbeak-immature-photos-vermont.html>
The brilliant colors of the upper tail were something I’d never noticed before!
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

> On Feb 22, 2021, at 4:19 PM, Richard Littauer <richard.littauer...> wrote:
>
> I read recently that there's an old Swedish name for Pine Grosbeaks, 'silly
> fool', for the same reason. After repeated Google searching, I've yet to
> find the actual phrase in Swedish.
>
> If anyone here knows Swedish and has heard of this name, I'd love to hear
> what it is in the original Swedish. "Dumt idiot", perhaps?
>
> Best,
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 3:56 PM Maeve Kim <maevekim7...> wrote:
>
>> The apparent comfort of these birds as we, two big humans, stood within
>> yards and ooh-ed and aah-ed reminded me that years ago I read a novel set
>> in Newfoundland, and the locals called these birds “mopes” because they’re
>> a slow-moving species and appear to be quite tame.
>> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center
>

> --
> Richard | @richlitt <https://twitter.com/richlitt> | burntfen.com
> <http://www.burntfen.com>