Date: 2/22/21 1:51 pm
From: Shelley Theye <veery...>
Subject: Re: Cedar Waxwings Chapel Hill NC
Jill Froning and I saw a huge flock of about 300 Cedar Waxwings on a Chapel Hill Christmas bird count a few years back, in 2017.
They were in 2 large oak trees as I recall.
Some of the flock moved across the road into another tree, no longer in our count area, and would fly down to
a puddle in the dirt driveway we were parked in to drink. They did this for quite a while. We had a great vantage point.

This was on Fearrington Point Rd. in Chapel Hill, Chatham County.

Shelley
Chapel Hill, NC

> On Feb 22, 2021, at 1:43 PM, Paula Jeannet (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> I also saw a large flock of Cedar Waxwings exhibiting the same behavior - hanging out in a stand of pines that were diving in small groups to sip water from the edge of a small stream on my property in the Morgan Creek area of Chapel Hill. I wondered if Waxwings have a special liking for running water (more than other birds).
> Paula
> Chapel Hill, NC
>
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 9:14 PM F Wilkinson <carolinabirds...> <mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:
> I saw them do the same early this year at Mason Farm near the water treatment plant when you first turn on to the road.
>
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 11:58 AM Loren Hintz <ldhintz...> <mailto:ldhint <z...>> wrote:
> This winter I have been seeing Cedar Waxwings almost every day I go on a walk. Today along Morgan Creek I saw something for the first time. As a flock of about 50 hung out in several trees between 2 and 10 birds would fly to the bank of the creek or on a tiny gravel island, sip water and then fly back to their perch.
> Loren
>
> From Loren Hintz Chapel Hill, NC
> --
> Fleeta