Date: 2/22/21 1:39 pm
From: Steven W. Cardiff <scardif...>
Subject: Re: [labird] Winter bird mortality?
I've noticed that one of my Rufous Hummingbirds now seems to have one
injured leg. He was fine before the ice storm, so I would attribute this
to a new injury related to getting his feet frozen to a perch. He seems to
be coping OK. You banders might want to be watching for this sort of
problem as you continue to band late winter hummers.

As per Jane Patterson's earlier comment, there are continuing reports of
fairly massive Purple Martin mortality. The ice storm hit at night and
sealed many birds inside "gourd" nest boxes. Many were rescued and
rehabbed, and some have been released already. But, sadly, many did not
make it.

Steve Cardiff