Date: 2/22/21 1:39 pm
Subject: Re: Whats the story with reporting Egyptian Goose?ju's
Hi, Harry -

Just a little more on the status of Egyptian Geese elsewhere in the US.

1. The biggest and best-established population may be in Texas. In Nov. 2018 I birded across Texas on Interstate 10, and found them in Kerrville and multiple spots around San Antonio, mainly in riverside parks and on irrigated lawns. In San Antonio some were mixed in with the hordes of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks along the river, near the zoo.

2. Back in the 1970s, free-flying Egyptian Geese from a private drive-thru zoo began breeding in the Umpqua Valley in SW Oregon. They were removed by Oregon game officials for reasons similar to those justifying removing Mute Swans from DelMarVa.

3. I lived in Tampa Fl. from 1977-1984, and free-flying Egyptian Geese were present in multiple local parks and golf courses, and were from Busch Gardens, where pinioned birds were breeding, but their offspring were not all pinioned. I found a nest with eggs on a small dredge-spoil island in the intercoastal waterway near St. Petersburg. I imagine there have been other sources in Florida since then, probably including one or more of the resorts in the Orlando area.

Wayne Hoffman
Wilmington