Date: 2/22/21 1:32 pm
From: Jacque Brown <bluebird2...>
Subject: Re: Centerton adieu
Hi All,

The fish hatchery has been trying to relocate for years but fairly recently decided to stay put and expand by developing more ponds on the west side (Upper). They also own the field across the street from the entrance on the lower ponds used for parking when they have their kids fishing event held in June. The spring pond across from the parking area by the upper ponds has not completely dried up it still flows at times and is swampy at other times and cannot be developed. The trees next to this pond were just full of migrants this year for a few days. I sat in the parking lot for hours looking at warblers. I’m surprised they haven’t closed the hatchery to drive in traffic yet but will do so at some point this year, they will still allow people to walk in. Dogs are already supposed to be leashed if you take them in there. They prefer you don’t. In reality it’s mostly birders who go in.

I chose to move to Centerton in 2008 mainly because it was so close to a lot of farmland and open spaces, and of course the hatchery. The silage pits at one of the Dairies in Vaughn that usually holds a lot of Sparrows and sometimes other treasures in Winter are no more, gone, filled in, and the nearby trees along Anglin Rd road that held so many Great-tailed Grackles at times, were ripped out to widen the road. The roads of the subdivision we called weedy acres at Anglin and Adams have been reworked, paved, and are ready for new houses to be built.

While we don’t like it people are free to sell their property and develop it. I can’t begin to tell you how many “The Links of” apartment complexes are in the area. Most people still like their European style landscaping with non native shrubs separated neatly by mulch as opposed the the native type of landscaping that encourages bugs and birds. While Walmart may be the driving force of progress and expansion in Benton County it’s not the only Monster in the closet.

Oddly enough the property next to the McDonalds that was bought by Walmart to put in a Supercenter back in about 2015 was only partially developed. The spring fed creek that ran through the property was rerouted around the property, entrance areas were put in over the creek but not paved and then Walmart decided it was not a good time to actually build the store. It’s only 4 miles from store 100 across from the home office and 1 mile from the Neighborhood Market at 102 and Greenhouse. This was also about the same time they shut down the mini stores that had been built in Gentry, Decater, and Gravette. Multiple stores and a few warehouses across the country were also closed due to there was not enough population base in those areas, which made them unprofitible. Yes, Walmart realized they had reached the point of over saturation. In one week over 10,000 people across the country lost their jobs in all of those closings. but I digress.

Instead of a store in Centerton they planted a multitude of native wildflowers and some willows sprang up along the creek. This leaves the property open for later development but in the meantime I’ve gone over there birding quite a few times.

Property all along HWY 102 is now being torn up and developed as the population expands. Nearly all the property along Holloway Rd is for sale as well and Holloway has now been mostly paved.
From Fish Hatchery Rd and S Main St (formerly Ginn Rd) to the east has now become a main drag all the way to Greenhouse Rd as a way to avoid traffic on Hwy 102.

Also there are so many walking, biking, and running trails in the Bentonville/Rogers area it’s ridiculous. These trails often go through fairly wild areas. Lake Atalanta in Rogers was torn to shreds putting in bike trails. When I lived in Bella Vista for a year I was across from a golf coarse which I went walking around every chance I got, there was a creek running through it and along the creek was very brushy and birdy.

Areas to the South, West, and North West of Centerton are still dirt roads and can be very birdy. Jacque Brown, Centerton.

or click the following link: