Date: 2/22/21 12:43 pm
From: Patrick Phillips <phillipspatj...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] chickadee count in Etna
Dave,
It has been a while since the trip to Costa Rica with Jeannie and Ted, but
I still have fond memories. I thought of you after watching a presentation
on Black-capped Chickadees by David Hot given to members of Green Mountain
Audubon Society. You might find it interesting given your banding of these
guys at feeders. Here's a link
https://www.greenmountainaudubon.org/presentations-and-recordings .

I hope that you are well and surviving this pandemic. After almost a year
of being careful, my wife and I have been hit by this awful virus. It is
no fun! Take care and stay safe!
Pat Phillips

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 9:45 AM DAVID MERKER <buteojamaica...>
wrote:

> So after a patient 6 weeks of trying to catch all the unbanded chickadees
> at my feeding station, I have not been 100% successful. Pretty close
> though, I did manage to catch 71 chickadees. So you all probably have a lot
> more chickadees than you think…One must draw their own conclusions, but I
> am happy to offer a foundation to your basic reasoning.
>
> Here is mine: I think BCCHs (Black Capped Chickadees) live in mixed flocks
> in winter along with our other winter usual suspects. Given that my feeding
> station is no more robust with BCCHs than anyone else, I figure there are
> many mixed flocks rotating into and out of my station. Simple math, say 6
> mixed flocks with 10-12 (which about all I can count at one time) BCCHs and
> there you get a close resemblance to my capture #s.
>
> Everyone please do chime in with ideas, conclusions and experiences.
> Perhaps someone with mixed flock research under their belt can better
> explain this. I am not a professional!
>
> I am always surprised at the #…in looking back, I do this every 5-7 years,
> I caught 104 one winter but I think it was one of those huge BCCH irruption
> years. Normally the # is between 60-80 BCCHs.
>

> Dave Merker
> Etna, New Hampshire
> Cape May Raptor Banding Project Inc.
> www.capemayraptors.org