Date: 2/22/21 12:09 pm
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Ducks on ice
For many years I felt pretty sure I was pretty weird because I so much enjoyed that harshest of winter weather, when our ponds freeze up, lakes mostly freeze, and what birds that havenít moved south are left to stand on the ice or swim in the tightening pools to keep them open.
Iíve seen a lot of traffic on ARBIRD list and several similar sites with posts and photos of ducks on ice. Turns out there are a lot of us. That doesnít prove Iím not weird, but does suggest Iím a member in good standing in a select birdwatching club, of sorts.
Was thinking about this week, during the peak freeze up. Neil Nodelman got a wonderful photograph of Green-winged Teals and Northern Pintails on ice at Lake Fayetteville on February 22. On a trip to Lake Sequoyah Febraury 18, Salvador Barazza, a 16-year neighbor of birder Todd Ballenger, got a great up close photograph of a male Greater Scaup and a female Less Scaup, since most of Lake Sequoyah was then frozen. Todd sent the photos to his friend Vivek Givid Kumar and Vivek sent them to me.
Vivek and went out there on February 20. The whole lake was frozen shut, except for a small area near the spillway. Got great looks at that male Greater Scaup, plus Redheads, Canvasbacks, etc Ė 12 duck species, including a first of the season Wood duck.
Hereís Vivekís eBird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S82167039<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Febird.org%2Fchecklist%2FS82167039&data=04%7C01%<7Carbird-l...>%7C73dadba161d147f361f508d8d76dc8b8%7C79c742c4e61c4fa5be89a3cb566a80d1%7C0%7C0%7C637496213830921915%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=UyrG%2FA7q2Mw6SXJYHic9CS0SJNMpNFQFTtUOqP0DvE4%3D&reserved=0>.

or click the following link: