Date: 2/22/21 11:23 am
From: Katrina Heinzen <katrina.heinzen...>
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] Anyone know what kind of nest this is in Shaker Nature Center?
I work there (though furloughed) and we've only ever found one vireo nest
that I know of, but the general area usually sustains several pairs of
orioles. Maybe that doesn't really help, not if you can get a true ID of
the nest. I don't know if anyone currently on staff has the expertise to
make this ID for you, but I can reach out to the Natural Resources Manager
who was one of the few people working on-site last summer. (they closed up
due to Covid.) He likely would have noticed oriole activity!

I think the main issue in a photo is going to be determining the size.
Since I know the area, you're welcome to send the photo to me to see if I
can sort that out from context clues. And I can look for the nest next
time I'm going by. I live in the area, so this is possible.

As for nest specimens to look at, we inherited some nests from a collector,
but I don't recall there being a vireo nest in the lot. Plus, the building
is still closed.

In a normal summer, I would have been there intermittently with ears
attuned to the birds, even while safeguarding kids on summer camp
adventures.

But Andy Jones is very helpful and you shouldn't hesitate to reach out to
him. Maybe he's helped you already!

Katrina Heinzen