Date: 2/22/21 11:22 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Public-transit-assisted birding?
Fernhill Wetlands is a realistic walk from Trimet busses that turnaround in Forest Grove. I met Mr. Neavoll there as he added Sharp-tailed Sandpiper to his life list. He had come by bus. Somewhere past 625 species for him. It made a romantic autumn morning all the more enjoyable.    The sobering thought is that 100 years ago Oregon Electric Railway reached Forest Grove. The modern MAX ends about 15km to the east in Hillsboro. Jackson Bottoms Wetland is a similar walk from there, as little as 6 blocks from MAX to the northwest corner of the wetland property but considerably more to the visitor center.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Joel Geier <clearwater...> Date: 2/22/21 9:27 AM (GMT-08:00) To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol...> Subject: [obol] Public-transit-assisted birding? Since we still have nearly seven days left in the dreaded month of February, here's another topic that might provide some positive opportunity for new voices to chime in:What are the best places that you've found for birding by bus, light rail, or other public transit?For example, Tualatin Hills Nature Park is right next to the Merlo Road/158th St. station on the Westside MAX blue line. You only have to go about 50 feet from where you get off the train, to where you can start birding. This is one of many Portland metro-area sites for which we included public-transit directions in the Willamette Valley Birding Trail guide (published about 10 years ago). It seems that -- covid aside -- options have steadily been improving in other western Oregon cities and towns, including Eugene, Corvallis, and Salem. There are even a few regional bus routes that could get you out to the Coast.On a similar note, has anyone ever attempted to do a "big year" entirely without relying on a personal motor vehicle, but making use of public transit? Of course "motorless lists" would fall under that umbrella, and there have been some impressive motorless efforts by Randy Campbell, John Sullivan, Andy Frank, and others. But for folks who might not be ready to bicycle all the way out to Lakeview to look for Juniper Titmouse, I wonder what could be possible by taking advantage of public transport.Looking forward to hearing your thoughts & experiences with this kind of effort.--Joel GeierCamp Adair area north of CorvallisOnly 1/2 mile from the nearest bus stop

Join us on Facebook!