Date: 2/22/21 9:41 am
Subject: Re: Whats the story with reporting Egyptian Goose?
Mute Swan brings up an interesting case. The NC BRC a few decades ago
voted to Accept the species to the state list based on the belief that
individuals from the feral, widespread, countable, breeding population in
the Delmarva Peninsula area were straying or migrating rarely to the
northern coast of NC -- such as that single bird seen for a short time now
and then at impoundments at Pea Island, which were definitely not breeding
there or from a resident population in the area. Of course, without bands,
there was no way to be sure WHERE they came from or were born.

Thus, Mute Swan was put on the Official List as being a "legit" stray to
the northeastern part of the state. In recent years, the feral population
in the Delmarva region has been "removed" -- I'll put it that way -- for
its impacts to natural resources. And, such strays to the Outer Banks have
declined, probably as a result. The intent was for folks to add Mute Swan
to their state list or year list ONLY if and when seen along or near the
northern coast. However, we know that over the last 50 or more years,
there are scattered breeding feral populations at lakes and ponds around
the state, such as Airlie Garnes near Wilmington and many cities inland.
These should NOT be counted on your lists, but that is my personal opinion,
and is un-enforceable anyway! Once a committee puts a feral species on an
official bird list, anything goes (unfortunately)!

The issue of Mute Swan shows that adding ANY exotic species of waterfowl to
a state list can "get out of hand" -- once accepted to the state list for
ONE geographic spot in the state -- let's say Egyptian Goose ONLY at Lake
Julian -- people will start counting it on their lists for anywhere in the
state. Sure, what you add to your various lists is your own choosing,
except when putting totals on websites like the ABA (American Birding
Association), where you do want to "play by the same rules" as other folks.

This is just one example of the headaches that records committee members
deal with reviewing waterfowl species such as Trumpeter Swan, Mottled Duck,
White-cheeked Pintail, etc. -- all of which have now been added to the
Official/Definitive List for NC. We/they accepted Barnacle Goose to the
Official List a few years ago based on photos of a bird with wild Canada
Geese at Lake Mattamuskeet. But, the BRC has not accepted Barnacle Goose
records far inland, such as at a park in Greensboro. So -- just because a
waterfowl species is now on the Official List does mean *not *all reports
in the state are accepted or should be counted on personal lists.

Harry LeGrand

Join us on Facebook!